Posting Your Actions on this Network: How and Why
Tell A Friend
|Enter the sum: 9 + 28 = (What is this?)|
Posting Your Actions on this Network: How and Why Describes how logged in representatives of participating organizations, or "Admins" can post actions to their home networks. It also describes how actions act as the heart of network functionality. Download a copy in Word or use the text that follows:
First, log in with your email. If you've forgotten your password, click on "forgot password" and a new one will be sent to you.
1) Once you are logged in with your password and email, go to the "Admin Control Panel," by clicking on "Admin" on the right side of the webpage, right under the blue navigation bar.
2) Click on Actions (3rd blue bar on the left hand side of Admin Controls) Select "Add an Action." It will appear under Actions in the middle of the page.** * Send us a message or complete a "Bug report " via Contact If Actions and Votes do not appear in the middle of the page or check for system compatibility.
3) Select your Organization from the drop down menu (some admins have more than one)
4) Enter the Begin and End Date (if applicable) and Time If there is or will be one. For "display specific time" pick one from the drop down menu and don't worry about end time unless you have it.
5) Select a unique Action Name. To differentiate between same actions, use the date and town.
6) Add the Description (up to 30,000 characters). Try the formatting options at the top of the field that include live links, pictures, small and big text, by highlighting the text you want to format and clicking on the desired option above the description field. Try the Line option on the right to break up your text.
7) If you have an exact Location address of your action, fill it in to trigger zip code and map that will go out with your message. -or you put the address in location notes.
8) Click on the Issue Tag box to select at least one but no more than 5 Issue tags that will enable others who share your interests to search for and link to your Action. -- Each issue tag will also give you a selection of pictures to illustrate your description.
9) Select a thumbnail picture from the picture picker. If you don't, we will.
10) Custom Tags are extra terms you may add for searchability.
11) Hit Preview to review your work then Publish when you're done! If Preview doesn't work, scroll up the page to make sure you have all the mandatory (red starred) fields filled in. Blank out the location field if its filled with a bunch of "undefined's."
Actions are Why/How the Networks Work
Remember, each "New Action" posted sends a message out to the whole network plus it gets on the calendar, action grid & home page and archives of yournetwork.org and on our central site: pjep.org.
"Add an Action" is the most important function on the Administrator Control Panel. Each time you add an action,
- It's automatically posted to the Calendar
- It's featured on the Home Page when it's close to the "day of."
- It gets on the Actions Grid which registers the degrees of support from member groups.
- It is stored in Action archives and searchable on our central site: pjep.org
- Informational and Networking Events: An action can be an informational/networking/organizing event such as a workshop, lecture, film showing, pot luck, party or special meeting.
- Protests and other Direct Actions include, for example, picketing, sit-ins, die-ins, mass demonstrations and small ones too.
- Campaigns: Actions can take the form of Campaigns such as soliciting letters to the editor, getting signatures on petitions, organizing Call-Ins, asking folks to use sustainable practices or to "Vote for Peace."
We add, as Actions, these Campaigns offered through your network website: Boycotts, E-letters, Fundraisers and Petitions. That way they will appear on the Action Grid and Home page. You can also add Actions for Campaigns that link or originate on other websites.
Calendar Listings and Announcements just sit on the website without the impact of an Action posting.
To make your Actions become more powerful, you can:
- Post an attractive Announcement for the home page.
- Select a powerful picture image - you can ask for help in getting it posted.
- Forward word of your action (with a link back to our site) to each and every list and group you know.
- Link to your action via a Tweet or a Facebook item.
- Compile a media list for your area. It makes sense to post one to local resources for all to use.
- Put together a coalition (Working Group?) to co-sponsor your efforts. To call the other network members, look in the network's Message Center to find members phone numbers.
» Click here to return to the Resource index.